Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Here's the proof...

I did it! I hemmed my jeans and it really wasn't so bad. Cami uses a method where you use the original hem. Very cool. She also taught me her own secret method for patching holes in my boys' jeans, and you have to be looking close to even tell they've been patched.

Thanks for your help, Cami!



I can't believe I didn't get a picture of her quilts when they were finished. She used brown corduroy, and added green and teal circles with raw edges to the top. They were so simple, and so fun. She did a great job quilting them with different sizes of swirls.

Vanessa came over while we were working and we got a sneak peak at her latest project...it is darling.

I'm hoping to finish a few of my UFO's in the coming weeks. I think I can...I think I can...

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love your blog - just found it from a friend. I'd love to hear about your hemming and patching secrets!

girlsmama said...

Yay Felicia! When are you going to start giving lessons?

Amy said...

I have hemmed my pants for ages. I am 5 feet tall so it is usually necessary! I don't know how to hem jeans using the original hem though. Can you share Cami's instructions?

Felicia said...

Amy,

I wish I knew where to begin to tell you how Cami uses the original hem, but I'm afraid it wouldn't make any sense. If you click on the picture above so it's bigger, you can kind of see what we did.

You roll your pants up, and then roll the hem back down and sew it in place.

It ends up looking a little bit like a "cuff" at the bottom, but I think it's less noticeable than making a new hem.

You end up sewing through SEVERAL layers of denim, so I had put the needle down by hand through the thick spots.

Afterwards, I just cut off the excess, and used fray check to keep it from fraying. I hope this helps.

V and Co. said...

cami is one of my new favorite people! glad that i was able to come over and meet her and get to works on stuff while she was there!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

I've got to hear about this secret hole patching method she's got going on. Seriously, my boys go through the knees of their pants like it's going out of style! Grrr. . .

~mandy :)

Lisle H said...

Umm, yeah! Hole-patching sounds like it needs to be addressed! Great quilts you've got going on there!