Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Times have changed


Cami is here, and quilting is in full swing, but I have yet to hem those jeans...

Here's something to enjoy in the meantime:

This is an excerpt from a Singer Sewing manual from 1949:

"Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do...never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates. Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing.

...When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on...(If) you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing as you should..."

Here's MY version of the sewing manual for 2009

(and yes...it's a true story)

"Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Have your MP3 player ready with some good tunes. Clear a spot on your table, and then invite a friend over. Pick a couple of projects out of your UFO pile (un-finished objects). Make sure you have a Nintendo, a PSP, a computer with Internet access, a timer, and lots of snacks for the kids. Set the timer for 30 minute intervals so your kids can rotate from one video game to the next all day long. Keep the youngest one happy with bags of dry cereal.

When you sew, make yourself as comfortable as possible. Pajama pants or sweats are good. Keep a little bag of "CHALKOLATE" near you to satisfy your craving at intervals. Have your hair in a ponytail because it's faster. If a visitor drops in, invite them to stay and "play". If your husband comes home to make himself a chili/cheese quesadilla for lunch, order a couple more for you and your friend. If you're hungry, you will not enjoy your sewing as you should.

When it's time for dinner, order a pizza and feed the kids on paper plates .


(Thanks to my husband Todd, for the quesadilla's. Thanks to V for the bag of chocolate. And thank HEAVEN, for video games)

8 comments:

onlymehere said...

I think I can live by your manual much easier!! I'd never sew if I had to follow the other older one! LOL!

Shanna said...

I just happened on your site via the Moda Bake Shop...love it already!! Great quilting :o) The manual from 1949...wow! Interesting how things are so different now! I like your "manual" better!! I have a TV in my sewing room for the kids to watch movies and not kill each other...LOL!

Michelle said...

I just recently found you, I think, also through the Moda Bake Shop. I do love your blog!

I have this book too, and have read that same excerpt to my quilting friends. It does seem hilarious now. I do, however, LOVE your version. Thanks for sharing!
be blessed,
Michelle

Jessica said...

That was the best blog post I have read ina long time! Hilarious! I jumped over from Our Cozy Nest, your blog is wonderful, I love quilts and quilting.

Shani said...

My husband thinks I should follow the 1949 Manual a little more closely. I have the newer version down pat, and am not about to change it!!

I love your quilting inspiration, thank you!

V and Co. said...

hey i'll buy some chocolate again so we can get together k? ;)

Little Birdie Secrets said...

This one cracks me up. I have a few vintage sewing books too I should look through for little "gems". I like your version much better though. That's one I can relate to! Stacy

Amanda said...

I found you through Little Birdie Secrets. I love this!